Hand Skills for Children is proud to offer a gymnastics program that combines the expertise of our Occupational Therapists and basic gymnastics. This class is offered as an alternative to individual therapy for children with mild coordination and balance difficulties and children who need to work on upper extremity or core strengthening and endurance to physical activity.
A small group environment with other students at a similar level gives each child the opportunity to participate in physical activity, have fun, and more importantly experience success.
The gymnastics program will focus on basic gymnastic skills and exercises with a focus on developing the following skills:
- Upper extremity Strength
- Core stability
- Bilateral coordination
- Eye hand coordination
- Motor planning
- Crossing midline
Children in the program will have the opportunity to become familiar with a variety of equipment including the balance beam, rings, and vault. Activities will
be broken down into “do-able” steps for each child. As basic skills are mastered, they will be gradually encouraged to combine steps over time.
About your Gymnastics Coach
& Occupational Therapist
Jordana Caruso is an Occupational Therapist at Hand Skills for Children. She began her Rhythmic Gymnastics training at Kalev RSG at 11 years of age. In 1999, Jordana was the Provincial Champion of Ontario. In 2000 and 2001 she was a member of the Senior competitive group who won gold at the Canadian Eastern Regional Championships and also won gold at Elite Ontario. In 2001, the Senior group placed second at the Canadian National Championships. In 2000, Jordana also competed individually at international competitions. In 2010, Jordana completed a community development placement at the Kingston School of Dance in order to develop an inclusive dance program with the school’s Board of Directors. She also has experience coaching pre-novice and novice competitive gymnastics at Kalev RSG.Location: Rosedale Gym Club located at 94 Laird Drive in Toronto, Ontario (south of Eglinton).
Schedule, Fees & Location
Fee: $360 for 6 sessions (50 min/class) schedule
Start date is October 13, 2017 – Fridays at 6 pm for 6 weeks. Sessions are 50 minutes.
1. Call us at 647-236-4263 or complete the on-line registration form
2. Payment in full for $360 can be made via cheque to “Hand Skills for Children” and can be mailed to:
658 Danforth Avenue, Suite 406, Toronto, Ontario, M4J 5B9
We will confirm registration upon receipt of the registration form and payment.
New students to Hand Skills for Children are required to participate in a gross motor assessment prior to enrolling in the gymnastics group. The assessment ensures that your child is placed in the correct group in order to provide them with a successful and appropriately challenging experience. It also allows the therapist to establish individualized goals for each child in the group. The fee for the assessment is $120.00
Group Registration Policies
- Registrations are received on a first come first serve basis.
- You can register online or call us at 647-236-4263
- Class Size: Min 2 students – Max. 4 students (an assistant will be assigned when there is more than two children enrolled in the group)
- Payment for the group must be submitted upon registering via cheque.
- Cheques will not be cashed until classes are confirmed (one-two weeks prior to the scheduled start date)
- We reserve the right to cancel a group secondary to low enrolment. Registrants will be notified one week before the first session. Any applicable cheques will be returned or refunded to the family.
- Please note that the assessment fee is not refundable.
- In order to ensure appropriate placement of your child in a group and to establish individualized goals, new students to Hand Skills for Children must have a gross motor assessment completed. The fee for the assessment is $120.00. Occupational Therapy assessment reports completed at other facilities are accepted in lieu of an assessment, as long as the assessment was completed within 6 months of the group start date.
- Group fees include materials.
- No refunds for missed scheduled classes by the student.